Monday, March 16, 2009

good work mama

So things are tense at work right now. Budgets are being cut left and right and being an elementary band director, though tenured, is not the most secure position to be in. Reflecting on my life choices is only natural at a time like this, and I think especially of the advice my mother gave me...that I didn't follow. I shouldn't really call it advice though, she gave me 5 rules the men I dated had to follow, and I chose one who broke them all.

1. He must have brown eyes, since she has brown eyes and none of her four children do. She damn well deserves a brown eyed grandbaby at least!

2. He must be from Minnesota, so he'd never take me away from her. Oops, Queensland is almost Minnesota, right?

3. He must not be a musician.

4. He must not be a teacher. I majored in music education and she knew I wouldn't make a fortune out of that degree alone!

and 5. (this one's my favorite) He must have a slow metabolism, so that when I get old and fat I won't be mad at him for being able to eat as much as he wants and still stay thin.

So instead of heeding my mother's warning, I married a blue-eyed Australian saxophone player and teacher who has the metabolism of a teenager on the swim team. But underneath it all I think that my mom really wanted me to marry someone like her. Someone who thought I was a real gem. Someone who thought my choice to be a music teacher, who happened to have green eyes and a full belly, was a good thing. And I did that. I learned a lot from my mother. That's why I married Chris. Good work Mama.


1 comment:

Jen G. said...

I think it's a good thing you broke the 5 rules, and I'm sure your mom and anybody who has seen you and Chris together thinks so too.