Tuesday, May 5, 2009

yikes

I am so woefully behind on my blog that it's getting to the point when I ponder "fold laundry and drink a gin and tonic, or blog?" The sad thing is, I'd usually rather fold laundry! Work has hit high gear lately; it always does at this time of the year. Concert season, recruiting season, spring-itis season. I would apologize for not writing more often, but at this point, I don't think anyone regularly follows my blog, so I guess it is just an exercise to keep me writing. I even have to prompt my husband to visit the blog. Oh dear. Can I use the word woeful more than once in the same blog? Speaking of which, do you ever find that certain people have certain words? I love that my Fargoian friend, Cassandra, uses the expression "hosed-up" for anything that's gone awry. It does bug me a bit that she pronounces harass like "hair-iss," and bison like "bizon." I guess it helps though that she says them that way with such conviction. And it doesn't hurt that she drives me to work a lot and often buys me brownies. Oh yeah, did I mention that I love Cassandra?

When he first moved to America, Chris used the word "pedantic" all the time. I mean, he couldn't go six hours without using it. I can't even think of an example of how he used it. He just did--all the time. It was funny to me, since I had probably never spoken the word before meeting him. I would chuckle every time he said it, and now I miss the fact that he's given up one of his favorite words. Maybe he stopped using it because the kids he taught didn't understand it--yeah, let's go with that theory.

Now I'm trying to think what my word is. I once wrote an essay on the fact that I lack obsessions and felt bad about it. I am deeply enthusiastic about many things, but I don't obsess. I don't realize I love goat cheese and then decide to buy a different kind every time I go to the grocery store. I don't wash my sheets every Friday night. I don't even have to sleep on the same side of the bed, though I do prefer whichever side is closest to the bathroom. I don't work out very often, or very hard. I don't care about cars. Man, I'm starting sound boring! I bet I have favorite words or expressions though. So, if anyone who knows me is reading this--what are they? I'd love to know! Thanks.

3 comments:

Dave Gels said...

I love the word "pedantic". I use it constantly, but always incorrectly because I only have the faintest grasp of its meaning. "Mmmm...this soup is pedantic!" Perfect. Bluffing your way with big words works 100% of the time if you only spend time with 14 month olds.

I've lately enjoyed the word "bucolic"; I like the juxtaposition of what is (I think) an ugly sounding word used to describe something aesthetically pleasing. "Bucolic" sounds like a virus, or a bad heavy metal record.

Unknown said...

FYI, I am always anxiously awaiting your next blog post!

Chris Moore said...

I think pedantic is an old old wooden ship