Wednesday, May 6, 2009

go buffs!

Remember when I mentioned our million or so tomato seedlings? Well this weekend we dug into the garden and got them going. Ella helped a lot by riding in the wheelbarrow and digging in the dirt.

We sowed 30 plants ourselves, gave 20 to my parents, gave 40 or 50 to my friend Cassandra and still have gazillions left, roughly. I am so excited about them I can't wait. I think our next door neighbors can wait though, since they like yards to contain only beautiful things, and we like our yard to contain mostly edible things. It doesn't help that the only strong sun we get is in the front, so that's where the tomato plants found a home. But get this, we planted five different heirloom varieties. The Carbon tomato, and purply-red variety; Dad's Sunset, a bright orange one; the Great White, which supposedly has a tropical, guava-like flavor; the good old Red Grape; and the one I'm most excited about--the Beauty King, a large striped type. Oh yum. I can practically taste the caprese salads right now. I can just see the sandwiches, the salads, the salsas, the snacks and more. And those are just the tomatoes. We also planted orange bell peppers, chocolate bell peppers (they sounded way too interesting to pass up), zucchini, lady finger carrots, st. valery carrots, fennel, fava beans, soy beans, mache, mesclun salad greens, beets, silverbeet, and peas. Later this summer we'll plant sugar-snap peas and brussels sprouts too. And Cassandra's mom graciously agreed to donate her canning supplies to Cassandra, which I know we'll also benefit from!!! Oh heaven. I know veggies don't get everyone excited, but I can't help it. Living through our frigid winters when no fresh produce at the grocery store is actually very fresh, and certainly not local, I just can't wait to stop using Centrum to get my phytonutrients.

No comments: