Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dick and Jane Return

Ella had a birthday.
Ella turned one.
Ella is growing up.
Mama can't believe it!


28 years ago yesterday I was born, and all day long I was thinking, "gee, now I know what my mother was doing 28 years ago!" Ella turned one on March 24th, and my birthday last year paled so dramatically by comparison to hers that it almost drifted past without anyone noticing. I just can't imagine anything as powerful as the emotional tug a child has over his or her parent. I remember eagerly awaiting her (well, at the time-it's) arrival. I remember having her room ready with a crib and changing table, slowing filling it with clothes and toys we were given, and imagining her filling it with her personality. For the longest time I just couldn't figure out how to decorate the room, and since it was a plain white room with wood floors, it was a thrilling blank canvas which to create a whole new baby world! Chris and I aren't much for themes or official color schemes (we even chose different flowers for everyone in our wedding party, much to the chagrin of our florist) but we still wanted something special and intentional. We thought neutral colors would be best, since we didn't know if we were having a boy or girl, and because they are calming. Chris always gives me a hard time about pretending to love all colors equally yet always buying things in green, so instead of pretend-arguing about it, we chose green as an accent color, painting a wide horizontal stripe of it around the room. But we still couldn't figure out what to hang on the walls. It's a small room, with two windows and two doors, so hanging the beautifully hand-made quilts we were given didn't fit, plus we wanted to use them. Framed posters or photos seemed contrived and too grown up, and baby directed art seemed contrived and too hokey. Then we had a breakthrough.


I'm not much for antiquing, but there's a fantastic antique store in Minneapolis called Hunt and Gather that I happen to love. I have found everything there from an Elmer Fudd hat for my baby brother Erik, to a rocking chair for my hubby. I had a feeling I could at least find something inspirational there for a nursery. Sure enough, Chris and I went looking and stumbled upon authentic antique Dick and Jane flash cards. There was a wide bowl full of them on the floor--not the best place for a giant pregnant lady to browse, but with Chris' help, a worthwhile place to venture. There we dug and dug until we found the perfect combinations of words for three wall-hangings. We superimposed them over beautiful hand-made paper, which is of course green, framed the three groups, and hung them with striped green ribbon from the picture rail in Ella's room. They had the perfect balance of adult and child-like touches and fit in the room! Every day and night when I sit in the rocking chair feeding Ella, I look at them and feel pleased with the calm, yet whimsical touch they add to the room. It seems even more exciting now as Ella is really starting to talk. I can't wait to one day hear her read them out loud to me. My mother even got Ella a board book set of Dick and Jane, but I must say, as much as I love the art, the stories leave a lot to be desired!





No comments: